Andi Kleen's blog

Tilting at windmills and other endeavors


without comments

Chris Wilson pointed me to a fix for the xterm font rendering problems I’ve been seeing on my Intel graphics laptop with Fedora 14. The fonts on each new xterm are corrupted until I resize it. I first blamed the Intel X driver (there were other xterm fixes in the past), but according to Chris it’s a compiz problem.

Anyways now I wanted to rebuild compiz-core to include the patch and see if it helps. First it took some time to figure out how to install source rpms with yum (summary: yum doesn’t support it; I guess I’m spoiled from zypper). Then
I ask yum to install all the -devel rpms which are dependencies for compiz-core’s source rpm. I got a full screen full of dependencies, culminating in yum asking me to install mysql-server. Yes, mysql-server to build a simple source rpm.
I guess it was taken in through some other dependencies, but installing a full database server for building some rpm is just crazy. I balked at that.

I guess I need to find now a script similar to SUSE’s build that builds in chroot or build it in build service

Fedora is not the only distribution with dependency hell. Some years ago I found out that one openSUSE released had a dependency from fvwm2 to gnome-print (which pulled in a lot of the rest of gnome)

Update: Fedora fixed this now with an update (see bug 614542) I’m really glad that the feels like 10 GB updates every day actually contain at least one valuable fix.

Written by therapsid

December 14th, 2010 at 11:58 am

Posted in bloat,rants